What about old school games Nostalgia?

369 Riddle

Gold

United States of America

What about old school games Nostalgia?

Post by 369 Riddle »

I will be honest, I am not a gaming guy nor a pc guy anymore. However, in the mid 90’s I used to love playing JF2 (Jet Fighter 2), then Silent Thunder: A10 Tank Killer II, Titanic Adventure Out of Time, and still my favorite and substantially less flashy Chip’s Challenge 1…there might be others but I dig the nostalgia of this area and being there to witness such amazing advances in technology at the time was sure fun…spent many hours in these games back in the day.

Anyone else? Any other old school games…even windows games from that area (some of the names I can’t even remember)…
“I am not in the dark-do not look for me there for what you will find shall be what you expect and it shall not be me.”-K
tc119

Owner

United States of America

Re: What about old school games Nostalgia?

Post by tc119 »

I remember seeing those games you mentioned on the store shelves back then, when they were all in big boxes. I never got the opportunity to play any of those, sadly. I did manage to get a hold of some adventure games, like Myst, Riven, and the Journeyman Project series. They either came with a computer that we bought, or I managed to save enough of my pennies to actually buy one outright. I still feel kinda bad for that guy at Circuit City who had to count $30 worth of change when I was buying a game.

The technology was advancing very rapidly during that time indeed. A computer that you bought one year would be nearly obsolete within the next two. That's not the case these days. I have a couple of machines that I built a decade ago and they can play modern games just fine.

I played the hell out of Chip's Challenge on a WinPro 486 Windows 3.1 machine. I also managed to get a copy of Red Baron from a school teacher and was hooked on that - though I had to wait until we got a Pentium 150 MHz machine to enjoy it at the full frame-rate. Here's a few more titles I can think of from the 90s that I really enjoyed:
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 98
  • Midtown Madness
  • Duke Nukem 3D (Where I learned about female anatomy for the first time)
  • Doom
  • Tomb Raider
  • Thief - The Dark Project
  • SimCity
  • SkiFree (Has anyone managed to get past that abominable snowman that eats you at the bottom of the hill?)
369 Riddle

Gold

United States of America

Re: What about old school games Nostalgia?

Post by 369 Riddle »

So you know you can still get Chips Challenge via Steam? I have it on my business PC and play it when I can (which sadly isn’t often) everything is there…the old music and everything. I think it was like a ridiculous price of a penny or something…has been a few years-I just know it was dirt cheap. Totally rad! 🤓

Also I guess I read Titanic Adventure is too but I have not gotten the yet. No time…yet.

Sadly I guess most of this older stuff ends up in abandonware I guess and luckily Chip was just too loved.

Oh and Simcity was fun too…I did play that often on Saturday afternoons because I could “get away with it.” Skifree I had forgotten about but also played that and some other came with bouncing balls that I have long since forgotten the name to.
“I am not in the dark-do not look for me there for what you will find shall be what you expect and it shall not be me.”-K